Finding our Rhythm

I’m often asked by other mamas “how do you do it?” or “where do you find the time to do art projects? I have laundry piling up!” It’s a common concern with homeschooling. How to get it all done. The truth is you don’t! No one gets it ALL done. Time is our most valuable asset and must be guarded. We must create a life that reflects what we value and let the rest go. imageWe follow a rhythm vs. a schedule. Life is fluid and ever-changing. Schedules are not. We follow a basic flow each day and week. Meals, naps, and bedtime happen around the same time which anchors our day and my sanity. We typically go to the library on Wednesday mornings and have a nature co-op on Thursday. But what happens around these times is an exciting ebb and flow, slowing and rushing as our family needs!imageI’d like to share our rhythm with you while encouraging you to find what works for your family! Isn’t that the beauty of homeschool?! The freedom to find and do what works for your family culture? I’d also like to point out that we value slow and meaningful living. We try to keep margin in our life so that we can dig deep into the things we ARE doing. This is what works for US!imageAre you ready for it…

Read. Project. Play.

It’s that simple! That’s the pulse of our day!

Read

We wake up each morning, prepare breakfast together, and gather in our reading nest, or on a picnic blanket with our morning basket. Both girls pray for our day, we recite a memory verse. I read a Psalm. We are reading through the gospels, starting in Matthew. I read a small paragraph (until the subject changes). We have a small memory board where we recall what the story was about and draw out an illustration together. imageThis is THE most important part of our day. Being in the word together each morning, sharing in the mind of Christ.
The girls then take turns choosing which picture book we read next! Right now or reading nest is full of Jan Brett books and we are LOVING them! I keep clipboards, paper, and markers in our basket. The girls typically sketch away while I read, oh and eat breakfast of course!imageWhen our bellies and minds are full of yummy food and good ideas we clean up and work on a project!

Project

Project time varies and changes! Sometimes we do something I set out the night before (play dough and nature parts, observational drawing, a hand craft etc.) Sometimes the girls have an idea they want to see pursue from the feast of ideas we absorbed in our reading time.
Essentially, project time is relaxed but intentional hands on work! It’s a time where they know I will sit along side them an assist them in pursing their own ventures. The girls drive the motivation and direction of their project! I simply offer my time!image imageimageThe product is second to the process. This is a time to create, discover, make mistakes, and critically think!imageWhen their a bit older, I’d like the project to be on-going process with revisions, bunny trails and depth. Weeks and months of spiraling discoveries!

Play

After we wrap up a project (and clean up of course, because I’m type A😆) it’s free play! Contrary to all the schooly ideas we have engrained in our minds, this is actually the most important part of our day. Yes they need a hefty diet of good books and yes crafting together is of merit, but much is lacking if unmediated play isn’t to follow. This is when their little minds test limits, expand ideas, and self regulate ON THEIR OWN TERMS!imageI stay in an earshot but distinctively make myself unavailable so they can work through problems on their own. I grab a book or a load of laundry and get out of the way of the very important work of play.
imageDramatic play comes to life. imageNegotiation and compromise take place.imageConfidence and self assuredness amplify.imageResearch swells.imageAutonomy grows.

Little people get to be who they are.imageIt’s beautiful.
SO that’s it! That’s our rhythm. We eat lunch and nap and start the whole process over again in one form or another.
What’s yours?

May we do all things to connect with and learn from each other ✨

17 replies
  1. family home
    family home says:

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

2. tips for financial planning
    tips for financial planning says:

You’re so cool! I don’t believe I’ve truly read a single thing like this before. So good to discover another person with a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!

3. continuing education
    continuing education says:

Having read this I thought it was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

4. online courses
    online courses says:

Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

5. career guidance
    career guidance says:

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say great blog!

6. Malinda
    Malinda says:

That is a really good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read post!

7. Brigida
    Brigida says:

Excellent post. Keep writing such kind of info on your page.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hey there, You’ve done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

8. Tricia
    Tricia says:

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and finally
    got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

9. QuentinWooni
    QuentinWooni says:

Thanks a lot. Numerous write ups.
    most reliable canadian pharmacies canadian pharmaceuticals online mexican pharmacies shipping to usa [url=http://canadianpharmacysilo.com/]north west pharmacy canada[/url]
    canadian pharmacy online
    canadian pharmacy without prescription
    international pharmacies that ship to the usa
    canada pharmacy no prescription
    mexican pharmacy online medications
    best canadian mail order pharmacies

Your comment is awaiting moderation. Reply

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Also scale back your time commitments. Say no to social gatherings and obligations. Create margin in your life so that you have the time and space to build your homeschool days the way you want. If you are like me, ample time and less stuff to put away means projects are more likely to happen. JOYFULLYFor more on our day-to-day click here!  […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!